Monday, January 31, 2011

Recipe : "Cinnabon" Copycat Cinnamon Rolls


Okay, sorry, I know... that was just mean, wasn't it?


Today's recipe came from here:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cinnamon-rolls-iii/Detail.aspx

The reason it came from there is, I couldn't find the one I had printed out to try, and this seemed to be pretty close to what I remembered.  And it did turn out pretty well, in spite of my forgetting the half-mixed dough on the counter while we went outside to make a snowman, then coming back to it after I don't know how long... Also, the recipe at the link is for a bread machine, but mine bit the dust ages ago so I did it the old-fashioned way.  Go, me.  Also, since I was out of cinnamon, but I did have some other goodies on hand, I "tweaked" it a little bit.  Read on... or click the link to read the original.  I think if I make this again, I will (a) stay focused and not wander off from the dough and (b) increase the liquid / decrease the kneading.  I did find that the dough was a little tougher than I would have liked.

Cinnamon Rolls


Ingredients:

Rolls:

1/4 cup warm water
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup warm milk
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups bread flour

Filling:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon or 'poudre douce'
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional but really good)
(other possibilities include raisins or finely chopped apple!)

Frosting:
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons milk



Directions

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add sugar.  Let rest til foamy.

In a large bowl (or using mixer), combine yeast mixture, melted butter, pudding mix, milk, egg and salt.  Gradually add flour, mixing well.  Knead to form a soft (but not sticky) dough.  Place dough in a greased bowl; turn over and let rise until doubled.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 17x10 inch rectangle. Spread with softened butter. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over dough.

Roll up dough, beginning with long side. Slice into one-inch slices and place in 9x13 buttered pan. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. While rolls bake, stir together cream cheese, softened butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and milk. Remove rolls from oven and top with frosting.

My own variation... shamelessly plugging a Pampered Chef product for my party... instead of frosting them, I sprinkled the tops with Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle ... very yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment