Saturday, January 22, 2011

Couponing : January 21, 2011 (and a minor rant)


I didn't get a photo of the shopping haul for today because hubby put the groceries away for me and I didn't see the need to get in the way of that!  :)  However, here are the deals I scored:

Campbells Chicken Broth 900ml - on sale for $1.00 - used a coupon for $1.00 off when you buy two, making them $0.50 each!!  At that price, I stocked up a bit and bought ten of them.  I gave several of those coupons to a friend who was there shopping as well.

Knorr Lipton Sidekicks - all of them on sale for $1.00!  I have plenty of the pasta ones already kicking around here, but this sale included the instant potatoes & gravy, and their rice blends, so I bought five of each, and used "save $1.00 when you buy two" coupons to bring their price down to $0.50 each.

Minigo 6pk - on sale for $1.00, and I had two coupons for $0.50 off so I picked up a couple.  If I can get more coupons before the sale ends, all the better, because these freeze nicely into little yogurt pops.  :)

Danone Fruit Twists - on sale for $1.00, and somewhere in my travels I acquired two coupons for $1.00 off, so I got two of them for free!

Clorox Disinfecting Wipes - on sale for $1.00, and I had one $1.00 off coupon from websaver.ca so I grabbed one of them.  I don't use them often but they're nice to have in the bathroom.   Big points for the lady working the floor in grocery as she went to the back room and retrieved one for me (the shelves were already empty).

Eggs - $1.99/dozen, used a coupon for $2.00 off when you buy two dozen so one of them was essentially free :)

Egg Creations - on sale for $1.00 and I had a coupon for $0.75 off, so I picked one up.  I don't care for them much as scrambled eggs, but I plan to try it in baking.

Finally, Campbells 'Ready to Eat' 540ml soups, on sale for $1.00.  And I have a pile of "save $1.00 when you buy 3" for the new 'blue band' soups.  Turns out, yes they were included!  Yay!  So I piled 20 cans into the cart.  Which should have translated into being able to use 6 coupons.  (I read it wrong at first and thought it was "buy 3 get one" so I was planning 15 + 5 free)  

Unfortunately here is where I experienced a cashier fail.  :-(   See, No Frills has this thing where after 20 coupons the cashier needs an override from a supervisor for additional coupons.  And I forgot about it, otherwise I'd have split the transaction (I had 23).  So we hit this "too many coupons" warning.  And the girl who had up til now been doing great, had never seen it before.  So she thought it was some kind of warning meaning I hadn't bought enough of the right product.  Well, that would apply if we were in the US where they scan the barcodes.  But we're not - we're in Canada where they just punch in the dollar value of the coupons.  The computer doesn't know whether they match.  So I said, no, that's not it, I bought 20 cans of soup so I would be able to use 6 coupons.  I gave you five.  The problem is, you need an override to allow more coupons.  So she called over her supervisor.  Who was busy and irritated.  Unfortunately there was a busy spell right then.  So she came over, looked at it and said, "It's one per purchase." Yes, and I bought twenty cans so there are enough purchases to cover it.  "No.  It's one per purchase."  Cashier - "It already took two."  "It did??? .... Well, she can't use any more."  And she proceeded to take my other three coupons and stuff them beside the register.  "You know what, never mind, but give me those back."  "Oh, right."  (sigh)   After she left I told the cashier, "The manufacturer says one per purchase means one per product but you're busy and I'm not going to argue with her so I'll let it go."  So the supervisor cost me three dollars... if there hadn't been a line up I would have been tempted to have her void off some soup to make up for it and demonstrate the loss to the store that the attitude cost... but I didn't.   I did, however, write to Loblaws head office to get copies of their policies.  Because this is the same store that a cashier told me they wouldn't price match something unless it was also in THEIR flyer, when the flyer clearly says they will price match ANYTHING in their store that is in a competitor flyer.

I have a suspicion I might become "known" to some of the staff there.  I'll have to watch my step a bit, particularly since that show "Extreme Couponers" came out and people are more suspicious than ever of us freaky people who are looking for a good deal.

Anyway - lessons learned:

- When using coupons at Loblaws stores, split your purchase into multiple transactions if you are going to use more than 20 coupons.

- Try really hard to avoid cranky-looking supervisors.

- Carry a copy of a store's corporate coupon and price-matching policy with you when possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment