Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Recipe : Another Beef Stew Creation. This time with BACON.


I put so many of my own stamps on the original recipe that it bears little resemblance beyond the addition of paprika... so I am officially declaring this one my own original creation.  :o)

Beef Stew


1 lb beef stew meat, cut to your preference
4 slices bacon, cut into 1" pieces
4 cups beef or chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
4-6 medium-size russet potatoes, peeled and halved
4-6 carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces (or about 2 cups of baby carrots)
1 medium-size rutabaga, peeled and cut in large pieces
1-2 tbsp cornstarch + 1/2 cup cold water
1 tbsp paprika
salt and black pepper to taste

Place beef and bacon together in a large skillet.  Cook until beef is browned nicely but not cooked through.   Dump all into a large pot, add broth and chopped onion.  (You could drain off the fat but you'll lose flavor by doing so.)  Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for about one hour.

Add potatoes, carrots and rutabaga.  Continue cooking over low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are nearly tender, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.   Optionally you could add frozen peas and/or corn after an hour.

Mix cornstarch into cold water.  Add paprika, salt and pepper.  Add to stew broth.  Stir and continue cooking until thickened slightly.

(Here is where I cheated somewhat... I scooped out all the meat and vegetables into a large bowl, added the cornstarch mixture to the broth in the pot, and brought it to a boil so it would thicken faster.  I used a whisk to keep it nice and smooth.  When it had the consistency I wanted, I dumped everything back in, gave it a stir, and done!)

No comments:

Post a Comment